ABOUT THE DARGLE VALLEY
As you enjoy the facilities at the Lions River Club and look over one of the country's finest polo fields, it is interesting to look back at the club's history. In 1887, a number of eminent polo players, including Sir Duncan McKenzie and Sir Henry Kimber MP, a former solicitor from London, set up the Dargle Polo club. The club was the first civilian polo club in South Africa. The same families were the founding members of the Lions River Polo Club which was established in 1921. Before this, in the mid-1800s, the Irish Fannin family bought 6000 acres in the Midlands, naming the valley 'Dargle' as it looked remarkably like Dargle outside of Dublin. Many of the fences in the area are still strung between Sneezewood posts, cut from the forests and saw pits where big Yellowwoods were felled for furniture and buildings, some of which are still visible today. Beautiful dry stone walls built by Italian prisoners of war criss-cross the Dargle hills.
DARGLE FACT #1
2013 celebrated the 10th Anniversary of the Dargle Conservancy.
DARGLE FACT #2
The Dargle Conservancy is regarded as one of the most proactive conservancies in the country.
DARGLE FACT #3
Midlands Meander Education Project brings environmental education to life in Dargle schools
DARGLE FACT #4
The Dargle mist-belt grasslands and indigenous forests, host many endangered species including the Cape Parrot, Oribi, Samango monkey, all three Crane species, orchids and other special plants.